Article written by Crispino Lobo with N. Chattopadhyay and K V Rao published in the Economic and Political Weekly (EPW) (Vol. 52, Issue No. 1 dated 07 Jan, 2017)
Awards & Recognition
1. Award of Excellence for Veljal Watershed
WOTR has won the Award of Excellence for one of its projects, Veljala micro-watershed, in Mahbubnagar district of Andhra Pradesh on 19 April 2014. This award was given by Department of Rural Development of Andhra Pradesh for successful implementation of Integrated Watershed Management Programme (IWMP).
2. Award of Excellence for innovative work in area of Agriculture
WOTR has been awarded Excellence in recognition of innovative work in the area of Agriculture on 31st January, 2014 at Patna by JEEViKA, in collaboration with State Innovation Council, Bihar
3. India Geospatial Excellence Award
On February 5th, 2014, Watershed Organisation Trust (WOTR) was awarded the “India Geospatial Excellence Award”. WOTR received this award during the India Geospatial Forum 2014 held at Hyderabad. This award was WOTR’s work in the Application of Geospatial Technology in Agriculture for the work titled "Use of Geo-spatial tools in Farm Pond Implementation under Climate Change Adaptation Project" under which potential farm pond sites are identified along with effective social mobilization.
4. Award for Innovation in Technology given by the Maharashtra Rural Livelihood Mission (MSRLM)
On the 27th January 2014, in a prestigious event at Mumbai, WOTR was awarded for its AGRI-MET service - Locale and crop-specific weather advisories that are helping poor farmers reduce crop loss. This awarded was recieved at the hands of the Ministry of Rural Development (Govt. of India), Shri Jayram Ramesh. The Maharashtra State Rural Livelihoods Mission (MSRLM) strives to impact rural poverty through a range of comprehensive and strategic livelihoods interventions. It aims at eradication of rural poverty by building sustainable institutions of poor and ultimately leading them to sustainable livelihoods.
5. FICCI Water Award – 2013
WOTR received the 2nd prize in the category “Water Initiatives by NGOs” on the 6th of August 2013 by FICCI in their Annual Water Awards instituted in association with HSBC. The award was presented by Mr. Montek Singh Ahluwalia, Deputy Chairman, Planning Commission, Government of India and Ms. Naina Lal Kidwai, President, FICCI.
WOTR has been awarded 2nd prize in the category “Water Initiatives by NGOs” by FICCI in their Annual Water Awards instituted in association with HSBC, August 2013 .
6. Vasantrao Naik Puraskar 2012
WOTR received the Vasantrao Naik Puraskar 2012 for excellent work done in rural development area. The award was given by Vasantrao Naik Krishi Sanshodhan and Gramin Vikas Pratishthan, Mumbai in July 2012.
7. Laadli Media Awards for Gender Sensitivity 2011-12
WOTR was awarded the “Laadli Media Awards for Gender Sensitivity 2011-12” by Population First for our film “Kadar Mulichi Anandi Sancharachi” documented by WOTR. This award received for the film’s contribution in promoting public awareness and understanding of gender issues.
8. India Geospatial Excellence Award- 2012: Natural Resource Management-Water
WOTR received the “India Geospatial Excellence Award- 2012: Natural Resource Management-Water” for “Use of GIS for NRM activity planning, implementation and monitoring” at the India Geospatial Forum 2012.
9. Dr. Punjabrao Deskmukh Krushti Ratna
WOTR was awarded the “Dr. Punjabrao Deskmukh Krushti Ratna” (Gem of Agriculture) by the Government of Maharashtra, the highest State award in agriculture in September 2010. It was the first time this award was given not to an individual but to an agency.
10. JSW-TOI Earth Care Award, 2010
Wankute, a watershed village, that was mobilised by WOTR, was awarded the “JSW-TOI Earth Care Award, 2010″ under the category “Community Based Mitigation and Adaptation to Climate Change” in September 2010.
11. Community Based Mitigation and Adaptation to Climate Change of “JSW-TOI Earth Care Award, 2010
WOTR received a “Commendation” with a Momento under the same category – “Community Based Mitigation and Adaptation to Climate Change” of “JSW-TOI Earth Care Award, 2010″.
12. Swiss Re Award for the Year 2010
WOTR was also awarded the “Runner Up” Award of Swiss Re for the Year 2010. WOTR was named runner-up in the International ReSource Award for Sustainable Watershed Management’ presented by global reinsurer Swiss Re.
13. Kyoto World Water Grand Prize 2009
WOTR won the Kyoto World Water Grand Prize 2009 awarded during the 5th World Water Forum in Istanbul, Turkey. The second edition of the Kyoto World Water Grand Prize was awarded during the 5th World Water Forum’s closing ceremony to the Watershed Organization Trust (WOTR) for its activity focused on “Changing Lives, Saving the Future”.
14. Nirmal Gram Puraskar
Four WOTR-adopted villages in Maharashtra were awarded the Nirmal Gram Puraskar by the Government of India in 2008. This award was given by Government of India as a component of its flagship scheme Total Sanitation Campaign (TSC) for promoting sanitation coverage in rural India ensure better health and quality of life for people.
15. Aakar Jal Puraskar Award
A WOTR supported project, the Mhaswandi watershed, was awarded the Aakar Jal Puraskar Award 2006 on March 21, 2006, by Hon R R Patil, Deputy Chief Minister of Maharashtra.
16. Vasantrao Naik Award
WOTR was awarded the Government of Maharashtra’s Vasantrao Naik Award in July 2001 for outstanding work in soil and water conservation.
Other Awards to WOTR officials
- Mr Crispino Lobo was honoured with the Citadel Achievement Award for exemplary work in the social development sector in August 2008.
- Dr Marcella D’Souza, Executive Director of WOTR, has been awarded in April 2008 the Indian Merchant Chambers’ Ladies Wing ‘Woman of the Year 2007- 2008 Award’, for her outstanding and significant contribution in the field of water conservation.
- Dr Marcella D’Souza, Executive Director of WOTR, has been honored with the prestigious Noble Laureate Award - Karmaveer Puraskaar - for developing pedagogy for the empowerment of women and creating a means for women to be creators of community wealth in March 2007 presented by the Indian Confederation of NGOs – Khemka Foundation.
- Mr Crispino Lobo, Co-Founder and Managing Trustee of WOTR, was honoured with the prestigious Noble Laureate Award - Karmaveer Puraskaar - for pioneering work in empowerment of the grassroots in March 2007 presented by the Indian Confederation of NGOs – Khemka Foundation.
- Mr Crispino Lobo, Co-Founder and Managing Trustee of WOTR, received the prestigious Outstanding Social Entrepreneurship Award in November 2005 given by the Schwab Foundation, Switzerland.
- Fr Herman Bacher, Co-Founder and Chairperson of WOTR, received the Krishi Bhushan Award, Government of Maharashtra, at the hands of the Governor of Maharashtra, Dr P C Alexander on October 2, 1994 for his invaluable contribution in the field of agriculture and rural development.
- Fr Herman Bacher, Co-Founder and Chairperson of WOTR, received the Federal Cross of the Order of Merit, Germany's highest civilian award, in recognition of his services and contribution to development cooperation between Germany and India at the hands of the Minister of Development Cooperation, Dr Carl Spranger, on February 12, 1994.
- WOTR is a founder member of International Rainwater Harvesting Alliance (IRHA) Geneva.
- WOTR is a core committee member of the NHWDP (NABARD Supported Holistic Watershed Development Programme).
- WOTR has been accredited CSO (Civil Society Organisation) observer status to the UNCCD (United Nations Convention to Combat Desertification) participates in the sessions of the Conference of Parties (COP) and the meetings of its Subsidiary Bodies.
- Work of WOTR was extensively spoken with high regards in “From Hariyali to Neeranchal: Report of the Technical Committee on Watershed Programmes in India” by the Department of Land Resources, Ministry of Rural Development, Government of India. This report was used as a basis for reorganizing the national government’s watershed development programme. Jan. 2006.
- WOTR had been the National Anchor from 2005 - 2007 for the LAN (Livestock, Environment and Development [LEAD] Advocacy Network) located in five states of India.
- WOTR’s work has also been featured in several publications:
- Featured in the National Geographic Magazine, November 2009, pages 110‐127. “A Harvest of Water.”
- Featured in the “World Resources Report, 2008: Roots of Resilience” by the World Resources Institute Washington, DC
- Featured in the “World Resources Report 2005: The Wealth of the Poor: Managing Ecosystems to Fight Poverty” by the World Resources Institute
- Featured in the “Weathering the Storm: Options for Framing Adaptation and Development” by the World Resources Institute, Washington, DC, as a successful example of community based adaptation to climate change
- Featured in the “Livelihoods and Climate Change: Sustainable Dry land Management: A Strategy for Securing Water Resources and Adapting to Climate Change” by the International Institute for Sustainable Development, Winnipeg, Canada. Information paper 3. December 2003.