Cutting across Implementation Support and Action Research is our work on Consultancy projects and applied IT and GIS assignments. Our consulting assignments are mainly Impact assessments of natural resource management, watershed development and adaptation projects, socio-economic and hydro-geological studies. These consultancies are carried out for other non-profits, government departments, CSRs, corporates and research institutes.
We also have well-equipped Geographic Information Systems (GIS), Remote Sensing and IT facilities. In addition, we have been providing locale-specific, weather-based crop advisories across Maharashtra for the past 6 years. The technical, agricultural and applied IT skills have helped develop a user-friendly mobile application called Farm Precise for the dynamic weather-based, crop management advisories.
WHAT WE DO
SERVICES OFFERED UNDER APPLIED IT, GIS AND CONSULTANCY
- Planning and Impact assessment of watershed projects/natural resource management projects
- Land use/ Land cover analysis at river basin to village scale
- Groundwater studies
- Large scale crop mapping and monitoring
- Mapping of plot specific agro advisories
- Web GIS server – publishing service
- GIS Training
- Web-enabled mapping and tracking work execution
- Socio-Economic survey and analysis
- Participatory Net Planning
- Project Appraisal
- Remote sensing
- Over 4,00,000 agro advisories sent to 11,577 farmers in 2017-2018.
- Between April 2018 and March 2019, 26,070 farmers are benefitting from advisories in 340 villages.
- Completed more than 50 watershed biophysical impact assessment studies.
- State of the art modern techniques such as Machine Learning (ML) and high resolution remote sensing satellite imagery are used in detailed mapping of cropping patterns changes, agriculture monitoring (crop water stress, crop growth stage, fertilizer requirement), water accounting, and biomass estimation studies.
- Country level high-resolution satellite imagery repository is available for various spatial mapping activities.
- Equipped with high end workstations and various image processing/GIS software such as ERDAS Imagine 2014, ENVI, ILWIS, ArcGIS 10.3, QGIS, SNAP etc.
PUBLICATIONS IN FOCUS
Hydrogeological delineation of groundwater vulnerability to droughts in semi-arid areas of western Ahmednagar district
The current study involves a field hydrogeological mapping that was integrated with remote sensing and GIS to delineate groundwater vulnerable areas.
Crop type mapping pilot study using satellite imagery
The cropping pattern for the entire Sangamner block in Maharashtra is has been mapped at plot level with high resolution remote sensing satellite imagery.
Ground water quality issues – needs bottom up approach?
– By Vijayasekaran Duraisamy
The groundwater pollution is a serious concern worldwide. The geogenic (natural phenomena) and anthropogenic pressures are major reasons for groundwater pollution. However, in arid and semi-arid regions, pollution is mainly aggravated due to anthropogenic activities. It can be further exacerbated in future due to climate change and it’s variability.
Identifying hotspots in land use land cover change and the drivers in a semi-arid region of India
The study examines long-term land use/land cover change (LUCC) at a finer scale in a semi-arid region of India. The objectives were to study and quantify the spatiotemporal LUCC and uncover the major drivers causing the change in the Mula Pravara river basin, which is located in a semi-arid region of Maharashtra state, India
The film depicts how WOTR’s Agro-meteorology component in the Climate Change Adaptation project, how farmers use local weather data for agricultural planning and management