We provide consultancy in applied IT and GIS. Our consulting assignments are mainly Impact Assessments of natural resource management, watershed development, climate change adaptation projects and socio-economic and hydro-geological studies. These consultancies are carried out for other non-profits, government departments, CSR initiatives, corporates and research institutes.
We also have well-equipped Geographic Information Systems (GIS), Remote Sensing and IT facilities. These help in impact assessments, crop mapping and monitoring land use and land cover changes. In addition, we have been providing locale-specific, weather-based crop advisories across Maharashtra for the past 6 years. The technical, agricultural and applied IT skills have helped us develop a user-friendly mobile application for farmers called Farm Precise that will provide them with regular dynamic weather-based, crop management advisories.
SERVICES OFFERED UNDER APPLIED IT, GIS AND CONSULTANCY
- Planning and Impact Assessment of Watershed Projects/Natural Resource Management Projects
- Land Use/Land Cover Analysis at River Basin to Village Scale
- Groundwater Studies
- Large-scale Crop-mapping and Monitoring
- Mapping of Plot-specific Agro advisories
- Web GIS Server – Publishing Service
- GIS Training
- Web-enabled Mapping and Tracking
- Socio-economic Survey and Analysis
- Participatory Net Planning
- Project Appraisal
- Remote Sensing
- Completed more than 50 watershed biophysical impact assessment studies.
- State of the art modern techniques such as Machine Learning (ML) and high resolution remote sensing satellite imagery are used in detailed mapping of cropping pattern changes, agriculture monitoring (crop water stress, crop growth stage, fertilizer requirement), water accounting, and biomass estimation studies.
- Country-level high-resolution satellite imagery repository is available for various spatial mapping activities.
- Equipped with high end workstations and various image processing/GIS software such as ERDAS Imagine 2014, ENVI, ILWIS, ArcGIS 10.3, QGIS, SNAP, etc.
PUBLICATIONS IN FOCUS
Hydrogeological delineation of groundwater vulnerability to droughts in semi-arid areas of western Ahmednagar district
The current study involves a field hydrogeological mapping that was integrated with remote sensing and GIS to delineate groundwater vulnerable areas.
Crop type mapping pilot study using satellite imagery
The cropping pattern for the entire Sangamner block in Maharashtra has been mapped at plot-level with high-resolution remote sensing satellite imagery.
Groundwater quality management needs bottom-up approach
Groundwater pollution is a serious concern worldwide. The geogenic (natural phenomena) and anthropogenic pressures are major reasons for groundwater pollution. However, in arid and semi-arid regions, pollution is mainly aggravated due to human interference, further exacerbated by the climate change crisis.
Identifying land use/land cover change hotspots and drivers in a semi-arid river basin
The study examines long-term land use/land cover change (LUCC) at a finer scale in a semi-arid region of India. The objectives were to study and quantify the spatiotemporal LUCC and uncover the major drivers causing the change in the Mula Pravara river basin in Maharashtra.
The film depicts how WOTR’s Agro-meteorology component is helping farmers use local weather data for agricultural planning and management as part of the Climate Change Adaptation project.