RANGE OF ACTIVITIES
WOTR’s integration of Biodiversity concerns builds on the close bond between the local biodiversity, sustainable regeneration of ecosystems / watersheds and sustainable development of resilient communities. Biodiversity plays a crucial but often underestimated role in the mitigation of climate change. Local communities significantly depend on locally available flora and fauna for food, water, energy, health and livelihoods especially during lean and stressed periods. We strive to preserve and protect biodiversity for this reason.
Five biodiversity management committees set up at village level in Jharkhand
228 ha of land taken up for horticulture plantation with 75,000 saplings
223 ha of land taken up for afforestation with over 40,000 saplings planted
Created People’s Biodiversity Register (PBR) and Children’s Biodiversity Register Manuals
Assisted 33 villages in Maharashtra and Madhya Pradesh to create their own PBRs through the formation of Biodiversity Management Committee (BMC) in each village in 2017-2018
PUBLICATIONS IN FOCUS
The paper ‘Biodiversity – A Key for Adaptation to Climate Change’ explores the role that biodiversity plays in shaping the adaptive response to climate change. It also documents how degradation of biodiversity can amplify the impacts of climate change, and how biodiversity itself would be under increasing threat from climate change.
PEOPLE’S BIODIVERSITY REGISTER
People’s Biodiversity Register actively involve the local people, in owning, documenting and protecting the traditionally percolated knowledge of biodiversity.This ‘How-to’ PBR manual will help protect and grow our natural heritage – local biodiversity
CHILDREN’S BIODIVERSITY REGISTER (MARATHI PUBLICATION)
Children are often fascinated by nature and plants, hence the Children’s Biodiversity Register aims to build on this and encourage children to understand, appreciate and conserve the biodiversity around them. The CBR can be implemented in different contexts.
BIODIVERSITY CONSERVATION FOR CLIMATE CHANGE ADAPTATION
How does biodiversity conservation help in the battle against Climate Change Adaptation? How does biodiversity help in maintaining the ecosystem services, and thus human life itself? To know more, watch this video “Biodiversity Conservation for Climate Change Adaptation”
OTHER PUBLICATIONS AND VIDEOS
- A video on tackling effects of climate change-Climate Change: Solutions
- A video on the Dangi breed of an indigenous cattle -A Pageant
- A video on the biodiversity festival at Shiswad-Nisarga Utsav – A Biodiversity Festival at Shiswad
- A video on Indigenous Trees for Climate Change Adaptation – Part 1 (http://youtu.be/sCLWy04mQCw)
- A video on Indigenous Trees for Climate Change Adaptation – Part 2 (http://youtu.be/lYBGXlbPNOo)
- A video about biodiversity conservation work-Biodiversity Conservation for Climate Change Adaptation (http://youtu.be/9CBnYBLTpds)
- An article on ecosystem based adaptation- https://wotr.org/sites/default/files/Biodiversity%20-%20Policy%20Brief%20No.%202_0.pdf