A very critical aspect of any development index relates to the health of vulnerable communities, especially of women and children. Across rural areas, anaemia among women and children, adequate and nutritious food intake, access to clean drinking water and basic sanitation facilities are still major challenges and hence, the motivating factor behind WOTR’s involvement in this thematic area. This is also rooted in our approach to development as a holistic concept.
Health, Nutrition and Sanitation
Alignment with International Frameworks
Sustainable Development Goals
Saffkins napkins - A step towards a brighter tomorrow
“I am Shobha, living in Ramraiwadi, Aurangabad. We go to Walunj village 5 km away, even to buy a single matchbox. In 2017, WOTR came to our village and started initiatives aimed at providing better health and sanitation. In one meeting, we were asked what we were using during menstruation – cloth, sanitary pads and the like. We do not talk about these things; so we were surprised. We soon learned to discuss all this in our women’s group meetings.
When WOTR introduced Saafkins to us we learned that it is reusable as it kills germs even after washing. The same pads can be used for about 12 months. Moreover, the cost of Rs 175 per set of 2 pads for a whole year is reasonable. After listening to all this, I purchased it.
The cost of disposable sanitary pads is high; one packet of 6 pads lasts for 2 days. We spend Rs 40/60 each month on sanitary pads, and to buy them we have to go to Walunj – 5 km away. That amounts to about Rs 600-700 a year for sanitary pads. Saafkins costs me just Rs 175 per year and is so practical. This is a huge saving for us.”
Scale of operations
9 child nourishment trainings conducted with 345 participants
Maintaining records of 3,632 children with Child Growth Monitoring Tool
43 trainings were organized for health promoters
70 HB (anaemia detection) camps conducted benefitting 5,318 people
90 sessions conducted on healthy and nutritious diet from locally grown crops
A total of 5,761 kitchen gardens were set up for better household nutrition
15 community water filters installed, benefitting 4,430 people
78 toilets built in Odisha spread across 12 villages
27 water tanks built, benefitting 3,927 people
52 adolescent training programmes conducted benefitting 1,383 people in Odisha
PUBLICATIONS IN FOCUS
Food and Nutrition Security and Climate Change: Strategies for a Sustainable Future
In this paper, we examine the challenges in food and nutrition in the semi-arid and dryland regions in India. The paper pinpoints key approaches within the system that work and those that require further improvement. It further proposes the approaches needed at community as well as policy levels towards food and nutrition security.
Saafkins Napkins – A step in the right direction
Sanitary napkins are a boon for millions of women in today’s world, but they can also be a nightmare for the environment if not disposed in an eco-friendly way. Since most women do not know how to dispose them in this way, the used sanitary napkins invariably get thrown out. In this blog, learn about how Saafkins Napkins are a more efficient alternative to regular napkins.
Awareness and Capacity Building: Essential for Food and Nutrition Security in Rural India
This policy brief is an outcome of the project ‘Promotion of Climate Change Adaptation in Semi-arid and Rain-fed regions of Maharashtra, Madhya Pradesh, Telangana and Andhra Pradesh’. The emphasis in this brief is on knowledge and the enabling of an environment for communities to grow their own food and meet nutritional demands on their own.
- An article on importance of sanitation HyFive – A rural women
- An article on how communities can ensure good health for themselves – Community action for responsible parenthood
- Case study on community wells – Community well to save water woes
- A primer on how to make school children aware of the importance of sanitation – Making Sanitation a Clean Habit
- A book on nutrition for children Chiman Chara
- An Ecologic newsletter issue on nutrition – Ecologic Nutrition
- An article on how GIS helps in crop planning – Crop Planning for Food and Nutrition Security Using GIS
- A blog on Improving soil health for food and nutritional security
- A video on impact of efforts to improve health and sanitation in Khalapur- Integrated Community Development in Khalapur, Maharashtra
- A short film on activities undertaken by WOTR in Odisha, on sanitation – World Toilet Day
- A short film on health activities of WOTR in Maharashtra – Aarogya Dhansampada